Let's be honest, not every family member is totally stoked to have pictures taken.
The kids don't want to actually be clean for an hour, hubby doesn't feel like shaving during his weekend off, and mom can't find a single outfit that makes her look pretty.
I want this to be a positive experience for everyone so here are a few tips on how to prepare for your session:
- When you first tell your family about the picture plans, consider your approach carefully. Bet excited and focus on the positive; attitude is contagious.
- Involve the kids (and your significant other) in the process from the beginning. If they get to help pick what they’re going to wear and what they'd like bring along, they’ll feel included and be more likely to cooperate and enjoy the experience. Show them my website, ask them if there are any poses or pictures they think are fun or that they'd like to try; get their creative juices flowing.
- Allow plenty of time to prepare and to arrive at your session. It’s hard to be patient and positive when you’re rushed. Also, don’t stress if it takes a bit of time for the kids or the hubby to warm up. We’ll get there.
Be comfortable. Be yourself. Be colourfully coordinated. Simple, right? Need help? You got it! Check out my seasonal style guides by clicking HERE, and follow me on Pinterest where I have boards dedicated to helping inspire and assist my clients in their clothing quest.
- Plan the shoot for a practical time of day when everyone is generally happiest. Depending on the time of year, I do recommend certain times due to light, warmth, etc... however I do take your family's schedule into consideration. I want a great session just as much as you do.
- Pick a location that is familiar, interesting and appropriate for the family. With little ones, room to run and play is very important. The location is just as important as the clothing choice. Need help finding a good spot? Ask me!
- If you're doing a themed mini session, it is best to coordinate your outfit colours and style to suit the theme and props for best results. If you need suggestions or input, contact me.
- Give the kids breaks in between shots to stretch, run, and play. This is a great opportunity for me to get great candid shots and capture your little ones' personalities.
- Bring water and snacks to avoid mid-shoot meltdowns.
- Take a few moments to fill out my PRE-SESSION QUESTIONNAIRE. Not only will it give me some inside info, it will also prompt you to consider your expectations and goals for the session. The questionnaire will help both of us prepare and achieve the best results from your session. It is also an agreement form so please read the details carefully,
For very lil ones:
- Bring along an “entertainer” to stand behind or beside the photographer to get the baby or little ones to look and smile. I have my lil tricks, but an extra silly face is always appreciated.
- Play peek-a-boo, tickle, and throw the baby into the air for real, genuine smiles.
- Again, plan your session for when your baby is happiest.
I like to have fun and most importantly, I want YOU to have fun!
If you have any questions or concerns prior to your session, please do not hesitate to contact me.
I am here to make this a fun experience for your entire family.