Let's be honest, not every family member is totally stoked to have pictures taken.
The kids don't want to actually be clean for an hour, hubby doesn't feel like shaving during his weekend off, and mom can't find a single outfit that makes her look pretty.
I want this to be a positive experience for everyone so here are a few tips on how to prepare for your session:
- When you first tell your family about the picture plans, consider your approach carefully. Act excited and focus on the positive; attitude is contagious.
- Involve the kids (and your significant other) in the process from the beginning. If they get to help pick what they’re going to wear and what props they can bring, they’ll feel included and be more likely to cooperate and enjoy the experience. Show them the website, ask them if there are any poses or pictures they think are fun or that they'd like to try; get their creativity flowing :)
- Allow plenty of time to prepare and to arrive at your session. It’s hard to be patient and positive when you’re rushed. Also, don’t stress if it takes a bit of time for the kids or the hubby to warm up. We’ll get there ;)
Be comfortable. Be yourself. Be colourfully coordinated.
CLICK HERE for more tips on how to do that ;)
- Plan the shoot for a practical time of day when everyone is generally happiest, and not just the time that is the most convenient.
- Pick a location that is familiar, interesting and appropriate for the family. With little ones, room to run and play is very important. The location is just as important as the clothing choice.
- If you're doing a themed mini session, refer to the sample pictures for inspiration. It is best to coordinate your outfit colours and style to suit the theme and props for best results. If you need suggestions or input, contact me.
- Give the kids breaks in between shots to stretch, run, and play. This is a great opportunity for me to get great candid shots and capture your little ones the way they really are.
- Bring water and snacks to avoid mid-shoot meltdowns.
- Promise them a reward when the shoot is over. I’m SO not above bribing. The use of a code word (like “ice cream”) to remind them of the reward throughout the shoot can be helpful ;)
- Take a few moments to fill out my PRE-SESSION QUESTIONNAIRE. This will help both of us prepare and achieve the best results from your session.
For very lil ones:
- Bring along an “entertainer” to stand behind or beside the photographer to get the baby or little ones to look and smile. I have my lil tricks, but an extra silly face is always appreciated.
- Play peek-a-boo, tickle, and throw the baby into the air for real, genuine smiles.
- Again, plan your session for when your baby is happiest.
I like to have fun and most importantly, I want YOU to have fun!
If you have any questions or concerns prior to your session, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am here to make this the best experience for your entire family.